Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
LAP-BAND® System Overview
In this procedure, a hollow band made of special
material is placed around the stomach near its upper end, creating a
small pouch and a narrow passage into the larger remainder of the
stomach. The band is then inflated with a salt solution. It can be
tightened or loosened over time to change the size of the passage by
increasing or decreasing the amount of salt solution. The
entire procedure is done laparoscopically, where a laparoscope
is inserted through the abdominal wall through small surgical
It induces weight loss by reducing the capacity of the stomach,
which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed.
Lap Band- Click on the image for an enlarged image.
Minimally Invasive Approach
During the procedure, surgeons usually use laparoscopic techniques (using small incisions and
long-shafted instruments), to implant an inflatable silicone band into the patient's abdomen. Like a wristwatch, the band is fastened around the upper stomach to create a new, tiny stomach pouch that limits and controls the amount of food you eat. It also creates a small outlet that slows the emptying process into the stomach and the intestines. As a result, patients experience an earlier sensation of fullness and are satisfied with smaller amounts of food. In turn, this results in weight loss.
Coming soon is an interactive presentation on Lap band procedure.
Least Traumatic Procedure
Since there is no cutting, stapling or stomach re-routing involved in the LAP-BAND System
procedure, it is considered the least traumatic of all weight loss surgeries. The laparoscopic
approach to the surgery also offers the advantages of reduced post-operative pain, shortened
hospital stay and quicker recovery. If for any reason the LAP-BAND System needs to be
removed, the stomach generally returns to its original form.
The LAP-BAND System is an adjustable weight loss surgery. The
diameter of the band is adjustable for a customized weight-loss rate.
Your individual needs can change as you lose weight.
Click on the image for an enlarged image
To modify the size of the band, its inner surface can be inflated or deflated with a saline solution. The band is connected by tubing to an access port, which is placed well below the skin during surgery. After the operation, the surgeon can control the amount of saline in the band by entering the port with a fine needle through the skin.
Click on the images for enlarged images.
The LAP-BAND® System Advantage
- Least invasive surgical option
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length-of-stay and recovery period
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Significantly lower mortality risk than other obesity surgery procedures
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- Reduced risk of hair loss
- No "dumping syndrome" related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal, long-term weight loss Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened for increased
- Removable at any time
- Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 100,000 cases performed worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of practices around the world
- Academic publications with up to 7 years of follow-up